"My birth is my fatal accident."

The 27-years-old PhD scholar, hung loosely from the rough, choking, disgusting rope tied tightly to the fan. Who knew the choking sensation that he felt? Who knew he would do this to himself one day? Who knew...

That Rohith Vemula, would commit suicide. That he wouldn't be able to fulfill his dreams of becoming a writer, a winter like Carl Sagan. That he would ever kick the bucket this way?

It wasn't a suicide. It was a murder. Yes, a murder. By the whole system, by pressure..

On 17th January, 2016 Rohit Vemula, a PhD scholar at The Hyderabad University committed suicide. Why did he do so?

He had faced discrimination because of his caste. All of this just because he was a Dalit.

Rohith Vemula was more than his caste. He was more than a Dalit for anyone to care. 
A few words from his final letter:
"Maybe I was wrong, all the while, in understanding the world. In understanding love, pain, life and death. There was no urgency. But I always was rushing. Desperate to start a life. All the while, some people, for them, life itself is a curse. My birth is a fatal accident. I can never recover from my childhood loneliness. The unappreciated child of the past."

Post a Comment

0 Comments